Ok now this is my 2nd recipe on the Halwa mania series, and I hope you like it if you try it. I usually make it in the winters no special reason it’s just I’m too lazy to make it all the time hehe
And Saira if you make it do let me know how you liked it. =)
Gajar Ka Halwa (Carrot Pudding/Halwa)
2 kg carrots
½ kg sugar
1 cup water
1-1/2 cup Ghee
50g fresh blanched almond slivers
50g pistachios coarsely grounded
50g walnuts coarsely grounded
6-8 green cardamoms (crushed with skin)
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1. Wash and slightly scrap and then grate carrots, keep aside
2. Prepare the nuts and keep aside.
3. Put 2 cardamoms pods with 1 cup water and ½ kg sugar in a pot on medium heat to dissolve the sugar to make thin syrup
4. When the sugar has completely dissolved add 400g mashed khoya and stir once or twice,
until the khoya is dissolved.
5. At this stage add the grated carrots,
ghee and rest of the cardamoms stir, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
6. After 10 minutes remove the lid and stir, and taste for sweetness (some people prefer very sweet so go according to taste) put the heat on medium-high and continue cooking stirring occasionally until all the water dries up. (DO NOT ADD SUGAR WHEN WATER HAS DRIED OUT its makes it sticky and hard).
7. When you see all the water has dried up and you can see some ghee coming out (at this stage the ghee will be slightly pale orange) add the nuts (leave some of the nuts for decoration) and cinnamon powder and continue cooking and stirring occasionally
8. Now you will see it’s leaving more ghee in a kindly dark orange tint, at this stage keep starring and cooking for about 10 minutes and you will see it coming together like soft lump then it’s ready.
9. Dish out and sprinkle the 100g khoya and mix nuts to decorate, serve warm and enjoy!.